WHO WE ARE
Boutique Theatre is a Melbourne based independent theatre company which creates theatre that is inventive, local, relevant and disruptive. Boutique Theatre was founded by actor/producers Emma Caldwell and Tegan Jones in 2012 with their debut season of Edges: A Song Cycle. Boutique Theatre has since gone on to produce International and Australian works, whilst developing a Writers’ Programme, Workshop Programme and housing an Ensemble of creatives. Boutique Theatre is guided by three core values: Inclusivity, Possibility, Opportunity.
Boutique Theatre produces work with an ensemble of creatives that is representative of Australia’s cultural diversity. We believe theatre is at its best when all kinds of people feel comfortable attending shows. Our work is not just for the cultural and intellectual elite. We actively nurture and support talent from all ethnicities, gender identities, capabilities, and sexual orientations.
How we’re doing:
- We have a core creative team of four members and an ensemble of 17 members. Our membership is currently 71% female and 9% male. 19% identify as LGBTI. 24% identify ethnically as Asian, 5% Indigenous Australian. We are getting there, but we realise that there is still room for improvement.
- Our 2016 Season & 2017 has equal or greater representation female actors and creatives we strive to close the gap between the genders in the theatre.
- All of our previous shows have been wheelchair accessible and we will do all we can to continue this practice.
We make affordable, comprehensible theatre that resonates intellectually and emotionally. Boutique Theatre believes there is limitless potential in breaking down the conceptual barriers between art for art’s sake, art as social change, experimentation, and entertainment. We believe Australian independent theatre can and should be all of these together.
How we’re doing:
- Our mainstage productions consist of a combination of an original Australian work, a contemporary, and a classic text reimagined. This combination is selected based on the fresh possibilities of practice they offer to our ensemble and the possibilities of resonance and engagement they offer the audience. Our Bloodlines Season demonstrates this philosophy with opportunities to perform, create and develop new work.
- Our productions involve strong narratives with well-drawn characters, but within this body of work we will experiment and innovate. However, we will never privileged artistic high-mindedness over audience engagement.
We generate opportunities for anyone who wants to help shape the Australian independent theatre industry. Even members of the public who are not in our Ensemble are encouraged to participate.
How we’re doing:
- Regular general or open auditions for guest actors wanting to join forces with the company for a specific project.
- Monthly play readings of classic and contemporary texts. Anyone is invited to attend.
- A comprehensive Audition Workshop designed to help actors refine their skills in the audition room. This workshop is open to the public.
- The Writers’ Programme aims to workshop submitted writing (at any stage of completion) to be workshopped by our ensemble of actors.
- Partnership with Melbourne Polytechnic to create the period costumes for our production of Abigail/1702 in order to give their students an insight into working in the theatre industry.
CORE CREATIVE TEAM
Artistic Director / Co-Founder
Head of Design/Marketing
Head of Writing
Boutique Theatre is fortunate to partner with the Melbourne base of the Howard Fine Acting Studio. We recognise that to foster and grow the Australian and Victoria Arts sector, it is important to work alongside our fellow contributors and help each other out when we can. Through our partnership with Howard Fine Acting Studio, Boutique Theatre looks forward to playing a part in providing new opportunities for graduate actors entering the Melbourne Arts sector.
For information regarding partnership opportunities with Boutique Theatre, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
HOWARD FINE ACTING STUDIO
“The Howard Fine Acting Studio is a leading international training institution, with permanent bases in Los Angeles and Melbourne. Our mission is to make you a strong, self-reliant actor able to perform at the highest levels in the industry. Founded by the multi award-winning Howard Fine, our training is accessible, demanding and rewarding.”